Cordova Community Baptist Church was first established when Alaska was a territory. It began in 1908 as a Presbyterian Church under the old comity agreement. The congregation voted to become American Baptist in 1950 when the number of missionaries serving in the hospital administered by American Baptist appeared to be increasing. An American Baptist pastor was called at that time and served with missionary status under the Home Mission Society. The hospital was transferred to the City of Cordova in the early 1970s and has remained under their administration since that time. Missionary nurses no longer serve in Cordova.
Pastors the Past Thirty-eight Years
Richard and Susan Harding and Robert Varnum began as co-pastors in 1975. Robert left in 1982 and Richard continued as pastor until 1999, serving 24 years! He remained on as pastor emeritus when his son John Harding became pastor in 2000, and passed in 2008. John served until 2010 when he left for another position. Susan remains active in the church, including serving as Director of the Christian Center.
Pastor France Marcott came in May 2010 to do an intentional interim, helping the church make a transition between pastorates and was with us till October, 2012.
And we now await our new Pastor, Charley Pitchford, who will be arriving in Cordova the beginning of November from Texarkana, Arkansas with his wife, Marianne and son, Joshua! It has been a long process for us all, particularly the Pastoral Search Committee who devoted themselves to this effort for over two years.
Cordova Community Christian Center
The Cordova Community Christian Center was first begun in 1955 when the need for this ministry became apparent. Utilizing primarily the lower part of the church, which has several classrooms, a kitchen, and a large gymnasium-size room, the CCCC has operated a Christian pre-school, hosted numerous community programs (including Girl and Boy Scout meetings), and offered programing for all ages. Over the years, the CCCC has been the site of many outreaches, including Home Port (currently a Saturday night coffee house). National Ministries partners with the Center through White Cross to continue to provide for supply needs and often sends volunteers to help with ministry needs.